Definition of Transformation
- Functions which map points of a pre-image onto its image is called transformation.
More about Transformation
Any figure which is moved from one location to another location on the coordinate plane without changing its shape, size, or orientation is called translation.
Examples of Transformation
- The transformation used in the figure-1 to change as figure-2 is 'reflection'.
- Figure 2 is the rotation of Figure 1.
- Figure 2 is the translation of Figure 1.
- A'B'C'D' is a dilation of ABCD.
Solved Example on Transformation
What type of transformation can you observe in the figure?
D. None of the above
Correct Answer: C
Step 1: The cube A has been moved 6 units right and 5 units down.
Step 2: The image of the cube A is the cube A'.
Step 3: A ® A’
Step 4: So, the transformation is translation.
Related Terms for Transformation