Definition of Unit Rate
Unit Rate is the ratio of two measurements in which the second term is 1.
More About Unit of Measurement
The two measurements involved for which ratio are taken in unit rate is always different.
Example of Unit Rate
If Nancy earns $180 in 20 hours, then unit rate of her earning is given as 180/20 = $9 per hour.
Video Examples: Unit Rate
Solved Example on Unit Rate
Ques: William can pack 60 toys in 4 hours. Find the unit rate with which he packs toys.
- A. 16 toys/hour
- B. 15 toys/hour
- C. 14 toys/hour
- D. 13 toys/hour
Correct Answer: B
- Step 1: Unit rate is a ratio of different units of measurement with the second term being equal to 1.
- Step 2: So, Unit Rate = toys/hours =60/40
- Step 3: = [Divide both the numerator and the denominator by the denominator.]
- Step 4: =15/1 = 15 [Simplify.]
- Step 5: So, William can pack 15 toys/hour.