Definition of Opposite Numbers
Two numbers that have the same magnitude but are opposite in signs are called Opposite Numbers.
More About Opposite Numbers
- When opposite numbers are added, it gives zero.
- To get the opposite of a number, change the sign.
- The absolute values of opposite numbers are the same.
- The opposite numbers are equidistant from 0 on a number line
Example of Opposite Numbers
- + 25 and – 25 are the opposite numbers.
- - 8 is the opposite number of + 8.
Video Examples: How to Find the Opposite of a Number
Solved Example on Opposite Numbers
Ques: Identify the opposite of 6 and represent it on a number line.
A. + 6, Figure 1
B. – 6, Figure 2
C. ± 6, Figure 3
D. None of the above
Step 1: Opposite of 6 is - 6. [To get the opposite, change the sign of the number.]
Step 2: Negative numbers will be to the left of 0 and positive numbers will be to the right of 0 on the number line.
Step 3: As - 6 is negative number, it will be 6 units to the left of 0 on the number line.
Step 4: So, figure 2 represents – 6.