Definition of Millimeter
A millimeter is a metric unit of length.
More About Millimeter
- Millimeter is used for measuring very small objects.
- Millimeter is abbreviated as mm.
- 10 millimeter (mm) = 1 centimeter (cm)
- 10 centimeter cm = 1 decimeter (dm)
- 10 decimeter (dm) = 1 meter (m)
- 1 dekameter (dam) = 10 meters (m)
- 1 hectometer (hm) = 10 dekameter (dam)
- 1 kilometer (km) = 10 hectometer (hm)
Examples of Millimeter
- The value of each small division is 1 mm.
Video Examples: How Many Cubic Millimeters Are in a Milliliter? : Math Conversions
Solved Example on Millimeter
Ques: Measure the length of the strip to the nearest millimeter.
A. 80 mm
B. 70 mm
C. 75 mm
D. 8 mm
Correct Answer: B
Step 1: The scale shown for measuring the strip is a centimeter scale.
Step 2: Each division in the centimeter scale is 1 mm. [1 cm = 10 mm.]
Step 3: The strip in the given figure is measuring 7 cm.
Step 4: 7 cm = (7 × 1) cm = (7 × 10) mm = 70 mm [Convert cm to mm.]
Step 5: So, the length of the strip to the nearest millimeter is 70 mm.