Definition of Coefficient
- The Coefficient of a term in an expression is the number which is multiplied by one or more variables or powers of variables in the term.
More about Coefficient
- Coefficients can be positive or negative or zero.
- While adding or subtracting polynomials, you just have to add or subtract the coefficients in the like terms.
Examples of Coefficient
- 5x – 3: Here 5 is the coefficient of the linear term 5x.
- 3xy2 - 7z: Here 3 and - 7 are the coefficients of the first and second terms respectively.
Solved Example on Coefficient
Find the coefficient of p in p3 + 2p2 - 5p - 1.
B. - 1
D. - 5
Correct Answer: D
Step 1: The coefficient of p in the expression p3 + 2p2 - 5p - 1 is – 5.
Related Terms for Coefficient