A condition occurring due to excess deposition of the fat in the body leading to health risk.
Examples of Deficiency Diseases
- Obesity occurs when the intake of energy (food calories) is more than the requirement by the body.
- Such people are said to be obese and their condition is said to be ?Obesity?.
- Obese people have high BMI (Body Mass Index). Their BMI is usually 30 or more than 30.
- (BMI) Body Mass Index is the statistical measurement derived by dividing the subject?s mass by the square of his or her height.
- It is expressed in Kilogram per square meter.
More About Obesity
- Obesity increases the chances of getting various diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, cancer, hypertension (high B.P).
- Obesity may be caused due to the factors like
- Overeating high calorie diet
- Staying physically inactive or Sedentary lifestyle.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Lack of sleep
- Medications that enchance to put on weight
- Much of the experiments are being carried out to resolve the problem and finding out solution for this Obesity.
- However following has been advised to prevent or keep a check on the Obesity
- - Calorie rich foods such as junk food, fried foods, animal fats, sweets and alcohol should be avoided to prevent obesity.
- - Regular physical exercise
- Dieting or having a balanced diet
- Prescribed medicines for losing weight
- Surgical methods for weight loss such as bariatric surgery
- Regular measure BMI
Question related to Obesity:
1) Which of the following is not responsible for obesity?
Solution. (c) Balanced diet prevents Obesity.
- a) Hormonal imbalance
c) Balanced diet
d) Calorie rich diet
2) The BMI is related to Obesity.
- a) True
Solution: (a) If the BMI is 30 or over, the person is considered as Obese.
Related words: obese | dieting | hypertension | Body Mass Index | BMI | Bariatric surgery