Definition of Balanced Diet
A diet that consists of right amount of essential nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins, minerals, roughage and water required by the body is called balanced diet.
More About Balanced Diet
- Balanced diet ensures the supply of all the required nutrient in just the right amount to the body.
- The balanced diet of a person differs from the other as the bodily functions and the overall energy requirement for the body differ from person to person.
- A balanced diet is essential and vital for the optimal growth and development of the body.
- Balanced diet helps to prevent deficiency diseases such as Protein-Energy malnutrition, Vitamin deficiency disease such as Beri beri, Scurvy, Pellegra , Ricketts, Mineral deficiency disease such as Goitre, Anaemia.
- Balanced diet also helps in preventing obesity, as it provides just the required amount of the energy required.
- An unbalanced diet may hamper the functions of the body and also overall growth and development may get affected.
- A balanced diet should be low in cholesterol, sugar, salt, alcohol and saturated and trans fat
- Balanced diet is also known as healthy diet, as it includes fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Your balanced diet must be planned at your own calorie level, and portion size is key.
- The food we take shows is consequences on our health.
- Good heath or bad health depends upon the kind of food we eat.
- A diet rich in one nutrient may lack or have less of it in another nutrient altogether.
- Balanced diet emphasis more on the intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, dairy products, and animal proteins such as fish, and meat.
- High nutrient dense food should be choosen as they provide substantial amount of vitamins and minerals.
Question based on the Balanced diet:
1) Which among the following lists forms a balanced diet?
a) Carbohydrates,Proteins, Lipids
b) Carbohydrates, Proteins, Lipids and Dietary fibre
c) Carbohydrates, Proteins, Dietary fibres and Water
d) Carbohydrates, Proteins, Lipids, Dietary fibre and Water
Solution : (d) Carbohydrates, Proteins, Lipids, Dietary fibre and Water all together in appropriate proportion forms a balanced diet.
Related words: Healthy diet | Carbohydrates | deficiency diseases | obesity | roughage | proteins | fats | vitamins | minerals | calorie