Definition of Postulate
Postulate is a true statement, which does not require to be proved.
More About Postulate
Postulate is used to derive the other logical statements to solve a problem.
Postulates are also called as axioms.
Example of Postulate
To prove that these triangles are congruent, we use SSS postulate, as the corresponding sides of both the triangles are equal.
Video Examples: The five postulates of Euclidean Geometry
Solved Example on Postulate
Ques: State the postulate or theorem you would use to prove that ∠1 and ∠2 are congruent.
- A. corresponding angles postulate
- B. converse of corresponding angles postulate
- C. alternate angles are congruent
- D. adjacent angles are congruent
Correct Answer: A
- Step 1: ∠1 and ∠2 corresponding angles.
- Step 2: Since the lines a and b are parallel, ∠1 and ∠2 are congruent. [Corresponding angles postulate.]
- Step 3: So, corresponding angles postulate is used to prove that ∠1 and ∠2 are congruent.