Definition of Inverse Properties
- Inverse Properties state that when a number is combined with its inverse, it is equal to its identity.
More about Inverse Properties
- There are two types of inverses of a number: Additive Inverse and Multiplicative Inverse.
- `- a` is said to be additive inverse of `a` if a + (- a) = 0.
- `` is said to be multiplicative Inverse of `a` if .
Example of Inverse Properties
- The additive inverse of 54 is – 54 because if a is a real number, then the additive inverse of a is - a so that a + (- a) = 0.
Solved Example on Inverse Properties
Find the multiplicative inverse of 7.
A. - 7
Correct Answer: C
Step 1: Multiplicative inverse of a number is the reciprocal of the number.
Step 2: Reciprocal of 7 is .
Step 3: 7 × = 1.
Step 4: So, the multiplicative inverse of 7 is .
Related Terms for Inverse Properties