Definition of Collinear Points
The points lying on the same line are called Collinear Points.
More About Collinear Points
- The points that do not lie on the same line are called non-collinear points.
- Three non-collinear points form a triangle.
Video Examples: What are collinear Points
Example of Collinear Points
- In the given figure, U, P, and V are the collinear points.
- Also (P, Q, R), (T, S, R), and (V, Q, S) are the other sets of collinear points.
- (U, P, T), (U, S, T), and (V, Q, R) are the sets of non-collinear points.
Solved Example on Collinear Points
Ques: Identify the three collinear points from the diagram.
A. P, Q, and R
B. R, Q, and S
C. P, Q, and S
D. none of these
Correct Answer: A
Step 1: If the points lie on the same line, then the points are called collinear points.
Step 2: In the figure, P, Q, and R lie on the same line.
Step 3: So, P, Q, and R are the three collinear points.