Definition of Mode
- Mode is a number that occurs most frequently in the data set.
More about Mode
- The data set with more than one mode is called Multimodal.
Examples of Mode
- In the given line plot, most number of cross (4) are shown against 20. So 20 is the mode of the given line plot.
- The mode of the set M, S, R, S, S, M, M, R, M, R is M, as M is occurred more frequently than S and R.
- 60, 55, 59, 56, 61, 62, 62, 62, 57, 61
60 in the data set occur only once.
55 in the data set occur only once.
59 in the data set occur only once.
56 in the data set occur only once.
61 in the data set occur twice.
62 in the data set occur thrice.
57 in the data set occur only once.
So, the mode for the above data set is 62 as it occurred most frequently.
Solved Example on Mode
The data shown below are the weights (in pounds) of different vegetables that Ashley bought.
16, 11, 14, 16, 7, 16, 14, 11, 16
What is the mode of the data?
Correct Answer: C
Step 1: The number that occurs most frequently in a data set is called the mode.
Step 2: 16, 11, 14, 16, 7, 16, 14, 11, 16 [Original scores.]
Step 3: Since the number 16 appears four times, the mode of the data set is 16.
Related Terms for Mode