Deficiency disease caused due to lack of vitamin B 1 called’ thiamine’ in the diet
over a long period.
More About Beriberi
It is characterised by loss of appetite, vigour, weak heart beat and weakness in
The nerves and the muscles become weak and cause muscle etropy, even paralysis
It is most common among alcoholics as; alcohol inhibits the absorption of Thiamine
Beriberi is of three types
A ) Dry Beriberi:
- It affects the nervous system
- Symptoms include difficulty in walking, loss of sensitivity in hands and legs,
strange eye movements, pain and speech difficulties
B) Wet Beriberi:
- It mainly affects the cardiovascular system
- Symptoms include shortness of breath, swelling in lower legs, increased heart
C) Infantile Beriberi:
- This occurs in infants aged between 2-6 months who are breast fed
- The breast feeding mothers lacking thiamine in their diet cannot pass it on to
- It is mainly characterised by heart failure, aphonia leading to death within few
Thiamine is a major component of coenzyme carboxylase required for carbohydrate
and amino acid metabolism.
It is also important for proper functioning of neuron and the nervous system
Polished rice (processed rice) lack thiamine as the bran that contains the thiamine
is removed during processing
Consuming such polished white rice for prolonged period leads to thiamine deficiency
Thiamine rich foods such as Wheat flour, oatmeal, Eggs, Yeast, Legumes, Brown rice,
sunflower seeds, fish, sesame seeds, asparagus, nuts and peas should be taken to
avoid thiamine deficienc
Questions based on Beriberi
Questions:- 1) Beriberi is mainly caused due to ____.
a) Vitamin K
b) Vitamin B12
c) Vitamin B1
d) Vitamin B complex
Solution: (c) Beriberi is caused due to Vitamin B1
Questions:- 2) Another name for Vitamin B1 that causes beriberi is ____.
Solution: (c) Vitamin B1 is also called Thiamine
Questions:- 3) Beri beri is caused due to the removal of which of the following
vitamin during the processing of the rice ?
a) Vitamin K
b) Vitamin C
c) Vitamin B
d) Vitamin B1
Solution: (c) (d) Polished rice (processed rice) lack Vitamin B1
(thiamine) as the bran that contains the thiamine is removed during processing.